Sunday, January 3, 2010

MY Roast.

Everyone has versions of Sunday dinner Roast. I got pretty tired of it about a year ago, so I decided to sit down and create a "new" roast that would improve an old worn out classic. So this is what I have come up with. Traci took it to her work, and we haven't hear one negative review. Everyone loves it. I am pretty biased on how good it is. LOL
So here it is- in all its glory. Try it- and let me know what you think.
The roast does not require it to be browned before it is put in a crock pot.
Here are the ingredients- and don't turn away after you see them, try it, you'll LOVE it.

1 Cup Red Wine
1/3 Cup water
1 Packet Italian Seasoning Mix
2 Tablespoons Beef base ( I get mine from Costco- and its pretty cheap)
2-4 Cloves of Garlic
1 Onion- rough cut or fine cut ( depending on your preference of liking onions)

*My disclaimer- wine cooks off. So if your a strictly religious person and you don't drink, trust me, its o.k. to cook with. You won't be a sinner for cooking with it. :p

I keep it pretty simple. I rub the Italian Seasoning on the roast and put the onions under it inside the crock pot. I then add the wine, water, Beef Base, and Garlic. I tend to use a little more Beef Base than required, but it offsets the other ingredients perfectly.

Set it to cook for 8-10 hours turning it once half way through. We serve it with mashed potatoes and my favorite green bean casserole on the side. The gravy that is left in the crock pot is delicious. I thicken it with a little Corn Starch on the stove. It ends up being a very deep rich brown sauce, my own version of Demi-Glace. It adds a whole new flavor to an old classic that I know we all get tired of. Give it a try, and let me know! You'll love it!

2 comments:

  1. I tried the Chicken Stew last week, it was good. The kids picked out the carrots but they liked them once I made them try it. Jason is not a fan of stew and he said it was good too. :)
    So Jason's also not a fan of roast, but I'm going to have him try this one this sunday. Its nice having crock pot meals when we have church from 11-2. I'll let you know how it goes. I think the wine in this one might make it for him, thinking of thowing in some mushrooms too.

    ReplyDelete
  2. We liked it! Our conversation: ME: How do you like the roast? Him: I don't really like roast usually but I like yours. (Cant be sure he wasn't trying to butter me up for something or not, but I did give the credit where credit was due)
    Mushrooms were a good addition, but the kids wouldn't touch it because of it. :(

    ReplyDelete