Wednesday, April 7, 2010

Meatloaf with Green Beans

I found this recipe in Martha Stewart's Everyday Food Magazine. I tweaked the ingredients a little which I've italicized in parenthesis. I hope you enjoy the meatloaf as much as Brian and I do!

MEATLOAF:
1/4 Cup Plain Dried Breadcrumbs (Italian Seasoned)
1 1/2 Tablespoons Milk
1/4 Cup Ketchup (I combine equal parts of Regular Ketchup and Heinz Hot & Spicy Ketchup with Tabasco. I also have only used the Heinz Hot & Spicy Ketchup with Tabasco to give the meatloaf a little kick)
1/2 Cup Grated Cheese (I combine Cheddar, Fresh Grated Parmesan and Pepperjack, and have sometimes substituted one of said cheeses with Monterey Jack)
1/4 Cup Scallions, Thinly Sliced
1/2 Cup Finely Grated Carrots
Coarse Salt and Ground Pepper
1 lb Ground Beef


GREEN BEANS:
2 Teaspoon Olive Oil
8-10 Ounces Green Beans, Trimmed
2 Tablespoons Water

1. Preheat Oven to 375. In a medium bowl, combine breadcrumbs, milk, ketchup, cheese(s), scallions, carrots, 1 teaspoon salt and 1 teaspoon pepper. Add beef and gently combine. Transfer mixture to a rimmed baking sheet and form in an approximately 2 1/2-by-12-inch loaf. Bake until cooked through, about 30-40 minutes.

2. Meanwhile, in a small skillet, heat oil over medium. Add green beans and water. Season with salt and pepper. Cover and cook until water is absorbed, about 6 minutes. Uncover and cook stirring occasionally, until beans are crisp-tender, about 6 minutes. Serve alongside meatloaf.

Whoops, and I almost forgot to take a picture of the finished product!

3 comments:

  1. Made with spicy ketchup? I'm going to try this!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This was really good! The cheese and carrots were a good addition to the meatloaf. I didn't have scallions so I used red onion instead. I had to laugh when Sadie (who normally pulls the onions out of everything or wont eat it at all if it has onions) ate every bite and even said "I really like these purple things in it"! Ha, ha!

    ReplyDelete