Wednesday, June 2, 2010

Chicken California

Before putting in to the oven:
After Baked:

Our latest and most favorite recipe is Chicken California. You can add in different vegetables to change it up each time and it's so simple to make. I definitely recommend it. My favorite way to make them is with my "special" sautéed mushrooms and onions. Sauté your mushrooms with butter, soy sauce and brown sugar and you will get such a wonderful flavor. Ignore the fact that they aren't very healthy anymore and just enjoy them!

If you try the recipe, let me know how you made them. I'm always interested in different ideas. A co-worker of mine tried it and she said she cooked her chicken in chicken broth and when the chicken was cooked, she threw in broccoli and onions and let it simmer for a minute then put it in the tortillas. I have thought about adding in rice the next time I make them as well. This recipe is great for variations, just use what you have on hand.
The next time I make them, I will take a photo to post.

CHICKEN CALIFORNIA
***
4 TBS. BUTTER
4 TBS. FLOUR
½ TSP. SALT
¼ TSP. PEPPER
2 CUPS MILK
¼-½ CUP VEGETABLES (ASPARAGUS, MUSHROOMS, ONIONS, BROCCOLI, ETC.)
2 CUPS CHICKEN, COOKED & SHREDDED
2 CUPS GRATED CHEESE (I have used different blends of cheese, it doesn't matter.)
8-12 FLOUR TORTILLAS
2 TBS. PARSLEY
AVOCADO
***
PREHEAT OVEN TO 350*
***
MEASURE FLOUR, SALT & PEPPER IN TO SMALL BOWL. MELT BUTTER IN SAUCEPAN OVER LOW HEAT. ADD FLOUR MIXTURE; WHISK UNTIL MIXED WELL. COOK OVER LOW HEAT; STIRRING UNTIL MIXTURE IS SMOOTH AND BUBBLY. SLOWLY STIR IN MILK, WHISKING CONSTANTLY AND HEAT TO BOILING. CONTINUE STIRRING UNTIL SMOOTH AND THICKENED. PUT A SPOONFUL EACH OF CHICKEN, SAUCE, CHEESE AND VEGETABLE IN TORTILLA, THEN ROLL UP ENCHILADA STYLE. LAY SIDE BY SIDE IN 9X13 PAN. SPREAD REMAINING SAUCE OVER TOP AND SPRINKLE WITH CHEESE AND PARSLEY.
***
BAKE UNCOVERED 20-25 MINUTES.
TOP WITH AVOCADO SLICES.

No comments:

Post a Comment