Sunday, May 13, 2012

Whole Wheat Bread

This recipe is my Mother-in-law's and it's really yummy.  I was not a fan of whole wheat bread, but this bread is delicious.  I've been grinding my own wheat whenever I make it to use fresh flour and this is becoming a weekly thing.  My girls and husband LOVE bread and this is turning out much cheaper than bread from the store.  Hope you like the recipe as much as we do.

Note:  I usually only make half of this recipe and make 5 small loaves


Mix together:
7 cups   whole wheat flour
2 tbsp yeast
5 cups warm water
1 1/2 cups powdered milk


Once those ingredients are mixed, cover your bowl and let rest for 10 minutes.  You'll see that the dough will start to rise up a bit.


After 10 minutes add the following to your mix:

2/3 cup oil
2/3 cup honey
2 tbsp dough enhancer
1 cup Vital Wheat Gluten
4 cups flour
2 tbsp salt

Mix for 10 minutes

Let rise, punch down.  Let rise.  Use oil instead of flour to make loaves.  Makes 5 large loaves or 10 small loaves.  Once you've rolled and placed your loaves in the pans, cover and let rise.  Bake at 350 degrees Fahrenheit for 30 minutes.  Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment