Wednesday, June 2, 2010

Basic Drip Beef

I made this for my in-laws and parents. My mother in law confessed that she has never made such a tender roast in all the years she's been cooking. Maybe I was just lucky that day.
  • 1 whole 2.5 to 4 Pound Chuck Roast
    ¼ cups Butter
    1 whole Large Onion, Sliced Thick
    3 cloves Garlic, Peeled
    ½ cups Soy Sauce
    1 cup Sherry (cooking Sherry Is Fine) (I used 1 can beef broth instead)
    ½ teaspoons Salt
    4 cups Water
    I believe I added in some brown sugar as well
    Toasted, Buttered Deli Rolls
    OPTIONAL: Rosemary, Thyme, Other Spices

Heat butter in a heavy pot over medium-high heat. Saute the onions for a couple of minutes, or until starting to get brown.

Put onions in to crock pot and set chuck roast on top of the onions. Add all remaining ingredients. Cover crock pot and simmer (very low heat) for 6 hours, or until beef is fork-tender and falling apart. Shred meat with two forks until all large chunks are gone. Serve immediately or continue to simmer for 30 minutes to 1 hour.

*Mixture can be refrigerated overnight. Remove hardened fat from top of pan before reheating.

Serve on top of toasted, buttered deli rolls. I used Ciabatta Rolls that I got from Wal-mart.
Top with cheese and place under the broiler if desired.

No comments:

Post a Comment