Wednesday, June 9, 2010

Spicy Chicken Shawarma

A few months ago I subscribed to "Cooking Light" magazine to check out their recipes. I came across this recipe and really wanted to try it, it is a Middle-Eastern dish. The recipe calls for a spice (Tahini) that I was not able to find and therefore made a small change to the recipe, the recipe still turned out great. You will need pita bread and you can find a recipe for this on my previous post. Let me also say, that this turned out to be such a good summery dish, it must be the cucumber in it. I suggest you read the recipe completely before making so you note the changes I made and see what works for you.

INGREDIENTS:
2 tbsp finely chopped fresh parsley (I used cilantro instead)
1/2 tsp salt
1/2 tsp crushed red pepper (I used 1 tsp)
1/4 tsp ground ginger
1/4 tsp ground cumin
1/8 tsp ground coriander
5 tbsp plain low-fat yogurt, divided
2 tbsp fresh lemon juice, divided
3 garlic cloves, minced and divided
1 lb skinless, boneless chicken breast halves, thinly sliced
2 tbsp extra-virgin olive oil
1 tbsp tahini
4 (6-inch) pitas, halved
1/2 c chopped cucumber
1/2 c chopped plum tomato
1/4 c chopped red onion
***
Combine first 6 ingredients in a large bowl; stir in 1 tablespoon (I added just a bit more) yogurt, 1 tablespoon juice, and 2 garlic cloves. Add chicken; toss to coat. Heat oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. Add chicken mixture to pan; saute 6 minutes or until browned and done, stirring frequently. The chicken turned out delicious!
Ok, here comes the change I made, but before I tell you, I will write the original instructions for the sauce: While chicken cooks, combine remaining 1/4 cup yogurt, remaining 1 tablespoon lemon juice, remaining 1 garlic clove, and tahini, stirring well. Spread 1 1/2 teaspoons tahini mixture inside each pita half.
***
I decided to skip the tahini mixture since I couldn't find the tahini. Instead I decided to use the sauce I make when making Pakora's (see Middle-Eastern label for recipe). The sauce is made with plain yogurt, fresh cilantro, jalapenos and salt. It is a very yummy sauce and personally thought it went great with this dish. I don't know the taste that the tahini gives, but just the mixture I made without the tahini didn't convince me at all and that's why I decided to use this sauce instead.Anyway, after spreading the sauce inside each pita half, divide chicken evenly among each pita. Fill pita halves with cucumber, onion and tomato.
Add more sauce to the top of each pita if you like. Enjoy!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment