Thursday, August 12, 2010

Choco-Flan



I actually tasted this cake/flan several years ago at a church activity, but never got the chance to ask for the recipe. I figured it wouldn't be too hard to make since it was a chocolate cake and flan baked together, I just didn't know how you accomplish that without mixing the ingredients. I did some searching online and was able to find the procedure for making it-this is also known as the impossible cake. Anyway, I ended up using my own flan recipe and I just bought a box of chocolate cake mix for the cake.
***
Just a few things to keep in mind:
1. Make sure you don't over-bake, or the cake will be dry
2. The cake pan I used was a spring-form pan and I believe water was able to creep into the cake pan and also some flan mixture got out at the bottom. I suggest you use a solid bundt pan.
3. During the baking process, the cake will rise and bake at the top and the flan mixture will sink to the bottom and cook there.
***
INGREDIENTS:
1 box of milk chocolate cake mix (follow the instructions as in the box to make the batter)
***
Flan Ingredients:
1 can of evaporated milk
1 can sweetened condensed milk
4 eggs
1tsp vanilla
1/2 cup sugar (for caramel)
***
In a small saucepan, melt the sugar on medium heat until it becomes caramelized, pour on the bottom of a bundt pan.
***
Mix the chocolate cake mix according to the instructions on the box and then pour on top of the caramel.
In a small bowl, mix all the ingredients for the flan: milks, eggs and vanilla. Make sure they are mixed well (mixture will be runny) and then carefully pour over chocolate batter.

Bake cake a Bain Marie for 1 hour at 350 degrees farenheit, or until toothpick inserted in the middle comes out clean, let cool, invert onto a cake platter. Enjoy!!!!

Note: To bake a cake/custard A Bain Marie, you just need to insert the bundt pan into a larger container and partially fill the large container with water.

No comments:

Post a Comment