Sunday, March 2, 2014

Whole Wheat Bread

This is my mother-in-law's recipe for whole wheat bread and we love it!
It is easy and overall fast to make.

I have a kitchen-aid mixer and the whole recipe doesn't fit in my bowl so I usually half the recipe.  My mother in law has a Bosch and she says the whole recipe fits just fine in her mixing bowl. 

When I make this bread, I tend to make 4 of the half batches at a time and freeze the bread. Last time I made it, I ended up with 9 small loaves and 3 large ones.

INGREDIENTS:

11 c whole wheat flour
2 tbsp yeast
5 c warm water
1 1/2 c powdered milk
2/3 c oil
2/3 c honey
2 tbsp dough enhancer
1 cup vital wheat gluten 
2 tbsp salt

Mix all ingredients and knead for 10 minutes.

Let rise, punch down.  Let rise.  Use oil instead of flour to make loaves.  Makes 7 small loaves or 5 large ones.  Bake at 350 degrees Fahrenheit for 30 minutes.

Here is a picture of the Wheat Gluten and Dough Enhancer I have.  You can find these products in the baking section of your grocery store.  Hopefully it will give you an idea of what to look for although it will probably be different brands.


Note:  This bread freezes great!
Displaying 2014-02-25_13-19-42_949.jpg

No comments:

Post a Comment