Saturday, April 17, 2010

Funnel Cakes

Back in high school/college my family, friends and I would go quite often to a very popular amusement park...that's were I developed a love for funnel cakes. These are delicious and a very popular treats at amusement parks, fairs, carnivals, etc. This was one of the things I looked forward to when we went to any of these places.
Shortly after I met my now husband he surprised me with a home-made dinner (made by him) for my birthday. He knew that I loved funnel cakes so he found out how to make them so that we could have that for dessert (so sweet).
Anyway, these are really easy/fast to make and an awesome treat every so often. You'll fall in love, hehehe.
INGREDIENTS FOR BATTER:
2 c Milk
2 eggs
2 c flour
1 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp salt
1 tbsp sugar
(you will need oil for frying)
***
TOPPINGS:
Fresh strawberries, cut in small pieces
Strawberry syrup
Powdered sugar (I ran out, so I skipped it this time)
Whipped cream
***
In a bowl, mix all dry ingredients then add the eggs and milk. Mix well, pour batter into a pastry bag or Ziploc bag and cut a small tip. When the oil is ready for frying, begin dropping the batter on the oil, move your arm around as you create your funnel cake (you do not want to drop all the batter in one spot). Once your funnel cake is the size you want it, put the pastry bag aside and allow the funnel cake to cook on one side and then flip to the other. The funnel cake will be golden when ready. When ready, pull out cake and place over paper towels.
***
To serve, place funnel cake on plate and sprinkle with a little bit of powdered sugar. Then add strawberries, strawberry syrup and finish of with whipped cream. Enjoy!!

1 comment:

  1. I remember how excited Glenden was to make those for you at our house! Hey, now that I think about it, how come you guys didn't save some for us!

    ReplyDelete